Call for papers: Constructing Financial Risk – Key Perspectives and Debates workshop (London, April 13th)
February 4, 2015
Please join us at Cass Business School for a 1-day workshop of thought-provoking panel discussions, engaging presentations and constructive paper development roundtables. We will explore current theoretical perspectives and emerging research on the social construction of financial risk, with the aim of generating connections between approaches and highlighting areas for future research.
The workshop addresses four topics: risk objects and science and technology studies; the production of risk cultures; relationality in trading risk; performativity in financial markets. A leading scholar will present each topic, with commentary from a key discussant and group discussion.
The programme and confirmed speakers are as follows:
· 9.30-10:00am: coffee
· 10-11.00am: Risk Objects and Science and Technology Studies, Prof. Stephen Hilgartner (S&TS, Cornell University). Discussant: Dr Eugenia Cacciatori (Cass Business School)
· 11-12pm: The Production of Risk Culture, Prof. Mike Power (London School of Economics). Discussant: Prof Andre Spicer (Cass Business School)
· 12-12.30pm: lunch
· 12.30-1.30pm: Practice Theory & Relationality in Trading Risk, Prof. Paula Jarzabkowski (Cass Business School). Discussant: Anette Mikes (HEC Lausanne)
· 1.30-2.30pm: Performativity and Social Studies of Finance, Prof. Yuval Millo (Leicester University). Discussant: Juan Pablo Puardo-Guerra (London School of Economics)
· 2.30-3pm: coffee
· 3pm-4pm: Paper development round tables (2 papers/table)
· 4-5:00pm: Break out groups on building bridges between perspectives
· 5-5.30: Wrap up commentary on themes. Prof. Hugh Willmott (Cass Business School)
Date & time: 13th April 2015; 9.30am-5:30pm (followed by drinks and dinner)
Location: Cass Business School, London (Bunhill Row Campus)
Cost: The workshop & lunch are free. Transport and dinner are at your own expense.
Register: 3rd March 2015: Places are strictly limited – please apply early!
To submit a working paper please contact Konstantinos Chalkias with an abstract by 3rdMarch. Both early-stage and under-review papers are welcome. To attend the workshopwithout a paper please also contact <Konstantinos.Chalkias.email@example.com> by 3rdMarch. We will notify you regarding your place and, if applicable, your paper acceptance at the workshop by the 10th March. NB: Full papers will be due by a strict deadline of 27thMarch, for circulation to your allocated roundtable.
Cass Business School Organizing Committee: Professor Paula Jarzabkowski
with Rebecca Bednarek, Eugenia Cacciatori and Konstantinos Chalkias